The rules of the road section of the South African learner's licence test consists of 30 questions, with a minimum score of 22 required for a pass.
1. The most important rule of the road in South Africa is to keep your vehicle as close to the left hand side of the road as possible.
2. Don't exceed the speed limit.
3. A vehicle with faulty brakes may only be towed with a tow bar (not a rope)
4. A safe following distance is when you are able to bring your car to a halt without swerving to avoid the car in front of you if it suddenly stops.
5. The general speed limit in a town or city is 60 km/h
6. You may not leave your vehicle unattended while the engine is running.
7. When changing lanes, the correct procedure is to check for other traffic, indicate and then check again before moving over.
8. You are not allowed to stop within 5m of a bridge.
9. You may only pass a vehicle on the left hand side if it is turning right and you are not forced to drive on the shoulder on the road to do so.
10. The maximum speed which you are allowed to tow a vehicle with a rope is 30km/h
11. If you arrive at a flashing robot you must stop first and only go when it is safe to do so.
12. Give way right of way to an emergency vehicle sounding a siren on the road
13. You may not stop your vehicle closer than 6m to a pedestrian crossing.
14. While being overtaken by another vehicle, keep to the left as far as is safe and don't accelerate.
15. You may not stop on a freeway unless a traffic sign or officer instructs you to do so.
16. The maximum distance that your dim lights may shine in front of your vehicle is 45 m.
17. Yield to oncoming traffic at an intersection when turning right.
18. Your headlights must be switched on between sunset and sunrise and when visibility is less than 150 m in front of you.
19. When arriving at a traffic circle, yield to vehicles already inside the circle.
20. You may not stop closer than 5 m to a bridge.
21. 24 hours is the max time you may park your car on a road outside urban areas.
22. You may not pass a vehicle near the top of a hill, near a curve or when visibility is less than 100m.
23. The pitch of your hooter must be consistent.
24. A vehicle licence is only valid for 12 months.
25. Seatbelts must be worn by all passengers.
26. The tread of your tyres must be at least 1mm.
27. It is illegal for a passenger to ride on the bonnet.
28. The distance between 2 vehicles being towed may not exceed 3,5m.
29. If you have a learner's licence, there must be someone in the vehicle with a driver's licence of the same vehicle class.
Get the latest updates in your email box automatically.
67 Bongo Crescent
082 698 7362